I’m already thinking about moving into my new home and top of mind is that I am moving into a smaller kitchen. No, it’s not as small as the box Ryan Reynolds was place into in the movie buried but it is considerably smaller than my current kitchen. I started to google tips about living with a smaller kitchen and here are some of the things I will be implementing into my new smaller space:
- Use my oven for storage: I will have limited shelf and cabinet space, so I’m going to store my baking sheets, pots and pans in the oven. The trick will be to remember to take them out before I turn the oven on! (I may just make a sticker or magnet that says “Take pots out!”)
- Create a pantry: The kitchen does not have the space for a pantry, but the dining room/living room space has plenty of room. I’m considering purchasing an old wooden wardrobe (time to scour Kijiji or Craigslist) to store all of my canned good, dried goods (pastas, beans, grains, canned goods, baking items, tea, coffee), as well as extra baking dishes, pots and cooking tools. I already have a sideboard and plan on storing less used items in it. I’ll keep you posted!
- Organize things by how (and when) I’ll use them: I’m plotting out where to store the items I’ll use the most. Example – I’m thinking that I will place all of my spices, vinegars, and oils together on one shelf above my sink (so they are away from the heat of the stove) and then store my plates, mugs, and glasses all within easy reach of my dishwasher so I can unload and load it quickly.
- Clean as I go: This is a trick I learned some time ago and will continue to do. In a small space, it is imperative to clean as you go – otherwise you end up with teetering piles of dishes, pots, and pans that can quickly become disastrous (especially when you’re trying to cook!)
- Add shelves, hooks and baskets: I’m going to take advantage of any space that I can and embrace some open storage.